Tea Leaf Shrimp
- 1 pound medium-size shrimp, shelled and deveined
- 2 egg whites
- 2 tablespoons plus 2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup boiling water
- 1 tablespoon Lung Ching tea leaves
- 1/2 cup oil
- 1/2 cup sliced shiitake mushrooms
- 2 tablespoons green onions, cut into 3/4 inch pieces
- 1/2 cup very thin julienned red pepper
- 1 tablespoon sherry
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 pound tofu, cut into 1-inch cubes
In a small bowl, combine the shrimp, egg whites, 2 tablespoons of the cornstarch, and 1/2 teaspoon of the salt. Cover and refrigerate. Pour 1/4 cup of boiling water over the Lung Ching tea leaves, allow to sit for 5 minutes. Pour through a strainer, reserving the leaves and the liquid. Now, heat a wok or deep saute pan over medium-high heat and add the oil. Add the shrimp mixture and cook until pink, 2-3 minutes. Remove them to a warm plate. Pour off the oil and discard. Don't wipe out the wok or pan. Add the shiitakes, green onions, and red peppers. Cook for 2 minutes. Meanwhile, in a small bowl combine the tea liquid, remaining 2 teaspoons of cornstarch, sherry, sugar, and remaining 1/2 teaspoon of salt together and work into a smooth paste. Add to the wok or pan. Add the reserved tea leaves, tofu, and the shrimp back to the wok, toss to coat and heat through. Transfer to serving plate and serve immediately.
Thank you! your flag was submitted.