- 8 (4-ounce) quail, rib bones removed
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 2 teaspoons Chinese five-spice powder
- 1 teaspoons sesame oil
- 1/4 cup China oolong tea
- Chilled Noodle Salad, recipe follows
- Kicked Up Hoisin Sauce, recipe follows
Place the quail in a medium bowl and sprinkle with the salt, Chinese five-spice and sesame oil. Place the tea in a stovetop smoker and place on high heat. Once the tea begins to smoke, place the quail in the smoker, close tightly and turn the heat off. Leave in the smoker for 20 minutes.
Heat a grill to medium heat. Grill the quail for 3 minutes on each side and serve with the chilled noodle salad and the hoisin sauce.
Chilled Noodle Salad:
- 1/2 pound udon noodles, cooked and shocked in ice water, drained
- 1/4 cup green onion, thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup bean sprouts
- 1/4 cup carrot, julliened
- 1/4 cup cucumber, peeled, seeded, and thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup toasted cashews, lightly crushed
- 1 tablespoon chopped cilantro
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 2 teaspoons sesame oil
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1 tablespoon black sesame seeds
Combine all ingredients in a medium bowl and mix thoroughly.
Kicked Up Hoisin Sauce:
- 1/4 cup white vinegar
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1 small red chile, such as a Szechuan
- 1/4 cup onion, chopped
- 1/4 cup celery, chopped
- 1 teaspoon chopped cilantro
- 1 cup good quality hoisin sauce
Combine vinegar, sugar, garlic and the chile in a small saucepan. Bring to a boil and cook for 3 minutes. Place the onions, celery and cilantro in the barrel of a food processor and puree until smooth. Once the vegetables are pureed, add the vinegar mixture in a steady stream followed by the hoisin sauce. Reserve.