- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 cup seltzer water, ice cold, or more as needed
- Vegetable oil, for deep-fryer
- 1 pound firm white fish fillets, such as grouper, striped bass, or cod, cut into 1-ounce strips
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Cayenne pepper, to taste
- 8 blue corn tortillas, warmed according to package directions
- 2 cups shredded napa cabbage
- Tropical Salsa, recipe follows, for serving
- Hot chili sauce, for serving, optional (recommended: Sriracha)
In a bowl whisk together the flour and baking powder. Whisk in 1 cup seltzer until smooth and let batter stand for 10 minutes. If necessary, thin batter with a bit more seltzer to reach consistency of crepe batter.
Place oil in fryer and preheat to 350 degrees F.
Season fish lightly with salt and pepper. Working in batches, dip each fish piece in the batter, transfer quickly to the fryer and cook until golden brown, about 2 minutes. Transfer to a paper lined plate to drain briefly before serving. Season again lightly with salt, pepper and cayenne on both sides.
Assemble the tacos by placing 1/4 cup of shredded cabbage and 2 pieces of fried fish in a warm tortilla. Top with 2 tablespoons of the Tropical Salsa and serve with hot sauce, if desired.
- 1/2 cup diced mango
- 1/2 cup diced papaya
- 1/2 cup diced pineapple
- 1/2 cup diced red onion
- 1/4 cup chopped cilantro leaves
- 1/8 cup cider vinegar
- 2 fresh red chile peppers, seeded and minced
- 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes, or to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar, or to taste (this will depend on the sweetness of the fruit)
In a medium mixing bowl, combine all ingredients. Let stand for 20 minutes in the refrigerator before serving.
Yield: 1 1/2 cups