Tempura Hearts of Palm on a Bed of Warm Greens
- 1 beaten egg
- 2/3 cup flour
- 1/2 cup cornstarch
- 1 cup cold soda water
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 pounds hearts of palm, portioned into 4-ounce pieces, blanched
- Essence, recipe follows
- 2 pounds assorted leafy greens, stemmed and rinsed
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons chopped garlic
- Salt and black pepper
- Blood Orange Gastrique, recipe follows
- Essence (Emeril's Creole Seasoning):
- 2 1/2 tablespoons paprika
- 2 tablespoons salt
- 2 tablespoons garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon black pepper
- 1 tablespoon onion powder
- 1 tablespoon cayenne pepper
- 1 tablespoon dried leaf oregano
- 1 tablespoon dried thyme
- Blood Orange Gastrique:
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup red wine vinegar
- 1/2 cup blood orange juice (from about 4 to 5 oranges)
- 5 oranges)
Preheat the fryer.
In a mixing bowl, whisk the egg, flour, cornstarch, soda water, and salt. Blend until smooth. Season the hearts of palm with Essence. Dip each portion into the batter, coating each palm, completely. Gently lay the hearts of palm in the hot oil and fry until golden brown, about 2 to 3 minutes. Remove from the oil and drain on paper-lined plate. Season with salt and pepper.
In a large saute pan, heat the olive oil. When the oil is hot, add the greens, a handful at a time, saute for 1 to 2 minutes, in-between handfuls, until all of the greens have been incorporated and wilted. Add the garlic and saute for 2 minutes. Season with salt and pepper.
To assemble, divide the greens between the eight plates. Mound the greens in the center of each plate. Lay the hearts of palm on top of the greens. Drizzle each plate with the Blood Orange Gastrique.Essence (Emeril's Creole Seasoning):
Combine all ingredients thoroughly and store in an airtight jar or container.
Yield: about 2/3 cup
Recipe from "New New Orleans Cooking", by Emeril Lagasse and Jessie Tirsch. Published by William and Morrow, 1993.Blood Orange Gastrique:
Combine ingredients and simmer over medium heat to make a thick syrup, measuring 1 cup.
Thank you! your flag was submitted.