Thai-style New Zealand Green Shell Mussels
- 1 tablespoon peanut oil
- 1/2 cup very thinly sliced yellow onions
- 1 tablespoon thinly sliced garlic
- 2 teaspoons minced fresh ginger
- 2 serrano chile peppers, or to taste, seeded and minced
- 1 cup fish or shrimp stock
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 2 1/2 pounds New Zealand Green Shell Mussels, well rinsed in several changes of water, beards removed, any open mussels discarded
- 1 cup unsweetened coconut milk
- Chopped cilantro leaves
- Chopped mint leaves
- French bread, as accompaniment
In a large saute pan or saucepan, heat the oil over medium-high heat. Add the onions and cook, stirring, until soft, 2 to 3 minutes. Add the garlic, ginger, and chile peppers, and cook, stirring, until fragrant, 1 minute. Add the stock, lime juice and sugar, and stir well. Add the mussels and bring to a boil. Cover and cook, shaking the pan, until the mussels open, about 2 minutes. Add the coconut milk, cilantro and mint, and stir well to combine. Cook until the coconut milk is warmed through, about 1 minute. Remove from the heat and serve in deep bowls. Serve with French bread.
Thank you! your flag was submitted.