Tried and True Buttermilk Pancakes with Orange Syrup and Raspberries
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups buttermilk, plus more for thinning
- 1 large egg, beaten
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil, plus about 1/4 cup for the pan
- 4 ounces (1 stick) unsalted butter, cut into teaspoons
- Orange Syrup, recipe follows
- Powdered sugar
- Orange Syrup and Raspberries:
- 3 cups fresh orange juice
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1 tablespoon grated orange peel
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1/2 teaspoon almond extract
- 1 cup fresh raspberries and blueberries, well rinsed and dried
Into a large bowl, sift together the flour, baking powder, sugar, and salt. Add the buttermilk, the egg, and 1 tablespoon of oil, and stir just until blended, being careful not to over mix. (Lumps are okay.) Let the batter stand, covered, in the refrigerator, for at least 1 hour, and up to 8 hours. If necessary, thin with extra buttermilk after resting.
Preheat a large, heavy skillet or griddle over medium-high heat. Add enough oil to lightly grease and leave a film on the bottom of the pan.
Working in batches, ladle the batter about 1/2 cup at a time into the pan. Cook until golden brown and bubbles start to form on the top, about 2 minutes per side. Transfer to a platter and cover to keep warm.
To serve, divide the pancakes into stacks among 4 plates. Pour syrup over each stack and sprinkle with powdered sugar and pass the butter at the table. Serve immediately.Orange Syrup and Raspberries:
Combine the juice, sugar, and orange peel in a medium saucepan over medium-high heat. Bring to a boil, stirring to dissolve the sugar. Reduce the heat to a low boil and cook to a thick syrup, and reduced by half, about 15 minutes. Add the butter and almond extract and whisk to combine. Add berries and remove from the heat. Let cool slightly before serving with pancakes.
Recipe courtesy Emeril Lagasse, 2002
Recipe courtesy of Emeril Lagasse
Recipe courtesy of Ellie Krieger
Recipe courtesy of Giada De Laurentiis