Tuna Tartare with Verjus
- 4 ounces fresh, sashimi grade tuna, skin, bones and sinews removed, and diced
- 2 teaspoons minced shallots
- 1 teaspoon minced chives
- 1/2 teaspoon very finely grated orange zest
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, plus extra, for drizzling
- 1/2 teaspoon verjus
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground white pepper
- 1 cup baby arugula leaves, stems removed, washed and spun dry
- Chopped walnuts, for garnish
In a bowl, combine the tuna, shallots, chives, orange zest, 1 1/2 tablespoons of the olive oil, verjus, salt, and pepper.
Arrange the arugula on 4 salad plates. Lightly drizzle with some verjus and olive oil. Place 3-inch ring-mold in the center of the arugula and mound the tuna tartare into the mold. Remove the mold. Sprinkle each serving with chopped walnuts and drizzle with the remaining olive oil.
Wine Pairing: Louis Jadot Beaujolais-Villages, France, most current vintage available
Recipe courtesy of Emeril Lagasse, 2002
Recipe courtesy of Brad Sorenson