- 1 (2-inch) tuna steak
- Essence, recipe follows
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 tomato, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup finely chopped onion
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 1/2 cup finely chopped red peppers
- 1/4 cup finely chopped jalapenos
- Salt and pepper
- Homemade croutons- 1 French baguette, sliced 1/2-inch thick and lightly toasted in the oven.
Heat skillet until hot. Season tuna with Essence. Place tuna in skillet and drizzle top with olive oil. Sear the tuna for 1 minute on each side. Remove from skillet and place on a cutting board. For the escabeche, in a bowl mix together the tomato and onion. Then add the lemon and lime juice. Mix well, and add jalapeno and salt and pepper to taste. Slice 3 pieces of tuna and place on a serving plate and top with croutons. Chop the remaining tuna into 1/2-inch pieces and add to the escabeche. Mound remaining escabeche on to the serving plate. Serve immediately.
Emeril's ESSENCE Creole Seasoning (also referred to as Bayou Blast):
- 2 1/2 tablespoons paprika
- 2 tablespoons salt
- 2 tablespoons garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon black pepper
- 1 tablespoon onion powder
- 1 tablespoon cayenne pepper
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano
- 1 tablespoon dried thyme
Combine all ingredients thoroughly.
Yield: 2/3 cup