Turkey and Vegetable Soup
- 1 leftover whole roasted turkey
- 2 medium onions, cored, peeled and chopped
- 3 medium carrots, peeled and chopped
- 3 medium stalks celery, cleaned and chopped
- 2 bay leaves
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Water, to cover
- Any leftover turkey meat, diced
- 2 cups cooked diced potatoes, rice or pasta
- 2 cups cooked sweet peas
- 2 cups cooked carrots, diced
- 2 cups any other cooked vegetables
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 cup chopped green onions, green part only
- 1/4 cup chiffonade fresh basil leaves
- 1/4 cup finely chopped fresh parsley leaves
- 1 cup cooked macaroni
- Loaf crusty bread
Place whole turkey in a large stockpot. Add 1/2 of the onions, carrots, and celery. Add bay leaves, salt and pepper. Cover the turkey with 3 quarts of water. Place over medium heat and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium low and simmer for 1 hour.
Remove stock from heat and strain through a fine mesh sieve, saving the liquid (about 2 quarts) and turkey meat, discarding the vegetables.
Saute remaining onions, carrots, and celery until wilted, about 4 minutes. Add to strained stock. Add the remaining vegetables, and garlic to the stock. Season with salt and pepper. Simmer for 10 minutes. Remove the meat from the turkey carcass and dice. Add the meat, herbs, and cooked macaroni to stock. Heat through.
Ladle the soup into each serving bowl and serve with the crusty bread.
Thank you! your flag was submitted.