Turkey Meatballs with a Minted Yogurt Dipping Sauce
- Total Time:
- 1 hr 30 min
- 20 min
- 1 hr
- 10 min
- About 5 1/2 dozen bite-size meatballs
- 1 1/2 pounds ground turkey
- 1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 small red onion, very finely chopped
- 1 scallion, finely chopped
- 1 1/2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1/2 cup dried bread crumbs
- 1/4 cup heavy cream
- 1 egg
- 1 egg yolk
- 4 tablespoons chopped fresh mint leaves
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley leaves
- 1 1/4 teaspoons salt, plus a pinch
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper, plus 1/8 teaspoon
- 1 1/4 cups plain whole milk yogurt, preferably Greek, drained overnight in a cheesecloth-lined fine mesh sieve
- 1 lemon, zest finely grated and juiced
Place the turkey in a medium mixing bowl and set aside. Heat 2 tablespoons of the oil in a small skillet and, when hot, saute the red onion and scallions until softened, 3 to 4 minutes. Let cool slightly, then add to the turkey, along with the garlic, cumin, bread crumbs, heavy cream, egg and egg yolk, 3 tablespoons of the mint, the parsley, 1 teaspoon of the salt and 1/4 teaspoon of the pepper. Mix gently but thoroughly. Using a small scoop or spoon, divide the mixture into 1 tablespoon portions and roll into smooth round balls. Place on a parchment paper-lined baking sheet and cover with plastic wrap. Refrigerate until thoroughly chilled, about 1 hour.
While the meatballs are chilling, make the dipping sauce. Combine the yogurt, remaining 1 tablespoon of mint, remaining 1/4 teaspoon plus a pinch of salt, remaining1/8 teaspoon of pepper, and lemon zest, 2 tablespoons olive oil, and lemon juice and whisk to combine. Refrigerate until ready to serve the meatballs.
Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F. Brush the meatballs with the remaining 2 tablespoons of olive oil and bake until browned and cooked through, about 10 minutes.
Let the meatballs cool slightly, then serve warm, with the yogurt dipping sauce.
Yield: About 5 1/2 dozen bite-size meatballs, generous 1 cup sauce, serving 6 to 8
Thank you! your flag was submitted.