Turkey Sandwiches with Pesto Mayonnaise and Dried Cranberries
- 1 loaf ciabatta or French bread, 14 to 16 inches in length, ends trimmed on the bias
- Pesto Mayonnaise, recipe follows
- 1/4 cup dried cranberries or cherries
- 3 tablespoons coarsely grated Parmesan
- 1 pound sliced baked turkey breast
- 2 cups chiffonade Romaine lettuce
- Pesto Mayonnaise:
- 1 cup (packed) fresh basil leaves (about 2 ounces)
- 1/3 cup lightly toasted pine nuts
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/4 cup freshly grated Parmesan
- 1/4 cup mayonnaise (good quality store bought, or homemade)
Cut the bread in half lengthwise and place on a work surface, cut sides up.
Spread the pesto mayonnaise on both sides of the bread to taste and sprinkle the cranberries across the bottom slices. Top the cranberries with a light layer of the cheese and arrange the sliced turkey evenly over the cheese and top with the lettuce. Place the top piece of bread over the lettuce, pressing down to adhere.
Slice crosswise on the bias into 4 equal portions, arrange on plates, and serve.Pesto Mayonnaise:
In the bowl of a food processor or blender, combine the basil, pine nuts, garlic, salt, and pepper and puree, scraping down the sides as needed. With the machine running, add the oil through the feed tube and process until the mixture is thick and smooth. Add the Parmesan and process for 15 seconds.
Transfer to a bowl and add the mayonnaise, stirring to blend well. Cover tightly and refrigerate until ready to serve. (The pesto mayonnaise will keep for 3 days refrigerated.)
Yield: 3/4 cup
Recipe courtesy of Emeril Lagasse