Vegetable Salad in Squash Seed Sauce,Guatemala
- 1 1/2 cups shelled squash or pumpkin seeds
- 4 medium tomatillos (about 1 cup), husked and quartered
- 1/2 cup roughly chopped yellow onions
- 1 garlic clove, peeled and crushed
- 1 pound potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 pound green beans, cut diagonally into 1-inch pieces
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne
In a large, dry skillet, toast 1 cup of the seeds over medium-low heat until golden and fragrant, about 8 minutes, stirring occasionally. Remove and let cool. Add the tomatillos, onions and garlic to the skillet and cook over medium-low heat until the skins are slightly charred, 8 to 10 minutes, stirring occasionally. Remove from the heat and let cool slightly.
In a medium pot, combine the potatoes and 1 teaspoon salt with enough water, to cover. Bring to a boil and simmer until tender. Drain.
To make the sauce, pulse the roasted squash seeds in a blender or food processor. Add the tomatillo mixture and the 1/4 cup of the reserved string bean cooking liquid. Puree on high speed until smooth, adding more reserved cooking liquid as needed. Season, to taste, with pepper and cayenne. Strain the sauce through a medium strainer.
Combine the cooked potatoes and green beans in a bowl. Toss with the sauce and remaining 1/2 cup of nuts, and refrigerate for 1 hour before serving. Serve chilled.
Recipe courtesy Emeril Lagasse, 2002