A traditional Southern "farm" favorite, made using ingredients always on hand, this is one pie that tastes much better than you'd imagine[.]
- Total Time:
- 3 hr 25 min
- 10 min
- 3 hr
- 15 min
- 8 servings
- Basic pie pastry, blind-baked in a 9-inch pie pan and cooled
- 2 cups water
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 cups sugar
- 2 eggs, beaten until frothy
- 6 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 2 teaspoons Limoncello, or other lemon-flavored liqueur, or lemon extract
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
In a heavy 2-quart saucepan, bring the water to a boil. In a small bowl, combine the flour and sugar, tossing with a fork to blend. Add the flour-sugar mixture to boiling water and cook, whisking often, until thickened, about 6 minutes. Remove from heat and slowly add the eggs, whisking vigorously. Return to medium-low heat and cook, whisking, until velvety smooth, about 3 minutes. Add the vinegar and lemon extract and whisk just to blend.
Pour into the cooled pastry shell and refrigerate until set, about 3 hours.
Recipe courtesy of Emeril Lagasse, 2001