- 1/2 pound bacon, small diced
- 1 cup julienned red onion
- 1 cup roasted pecans
- 1 tablespoon plus 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 1/4 cup rice wine vinegar
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 cup goat cheese, room temperature
- 2 tablespoons sour cream
- 1/4 cup sauteed leeks
- 1 egg beaten with 2 tablespoons milk
- 1/2 cup flour
- 2/3 cup bread crumbs
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 4 cups fresh spinach, cleaned and stemmed
- Edible flowers
In a saute pan, render the bacon until crispy. Remove the bacon.
In the bacon fat, saute the onions for 1 minute. Remove from the heat and pour into a mixing bowl, bacon fat and all. Whisk in the bacon, pecans, tablespoon of garlic and vinegar. Season with salt and black pepper. In a mixing bowl, combine the cheese, sour cream, teaspoon of garlic and leeks together. Season with salt and pepper. Form the mixture into 1 ounce cakes. Dredge the cakes in the flour. Dip the cakes in the egg wash, removing any excess. Dredge in the bread crumbs, coating each side completely.
In a saute pan, heat the olive oil. Pan-fry each cake for 2 minutes on each side, or until golden brown and heated all the way through. Remove and drain on a paper-lined plate. Season with salt and pepper. Toss the spinach with the dressing. Arrange the cakes around the greens. Garnish with edible flowers and black pepper.