Watercress and Shoots Salad with Toasted Flax Seeds, Fresh Berries, Oka Cheese Croutons and Flax Seed Oil Vinaigrette
- 1/2 pound (about 7 cups) watercress and shoots (corn, beet, etc.), rinsed and spun dry
- 1/4 cup flax seeds, lightly toasted
- 2 small spring onions, peeled and thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup blackberries or red raspberries
- 1/4 cup white raspberries
- 4 ounces Oka cheese, thinly sliced
- 8 slices French bread, about 1/4-inch thick
- 1/4 cup flax seed oil
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- Extra-virgin olive oil, for drizzling
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
In a large salad bowl, combine the greens, seeds, onions, and berries.
Place the sliced bread on a baking sheet and lightly toast until golden on 1 side, about 6 minutes. Turn the slices and place the cheese on the soft sides. Return to the oven and toast until the cheese is melted and just bubbling, about 5 minutes.
In a small bowl, whisk together the oil, vinegar, salt and pepper. Toss the salad with the dressing and divide among 4 salad plates. Place 2 cheese croutons on each plate, drizzle with extra virgin olive oil and serve immediately.
Beverage Suggestion: Marynissen Estates Chardonnay Barrel Fermented ?A? 1999
Recipe courtesy of Emeril Lagasse