White Asparagus Risotto with Paneed Veal
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 white spring onions (white and pale green parts only), finely chopped
- 10 spears asparagus, trimmed and sliced into 1/4-inch pieces on bias
- 1 cup Arborio rice
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- 2 1/2 cups chicken stock
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1/4 cup freshly grated Parmesan
- 2 tablespoons heavy cream
- 4 veal cutlets (about 2 1/2 ounces each)
- Essence, recipe follows
- 2 eggs
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1 cup saltine crackers, finely crumbled in a blender or food processor
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- Emeril's ESSENCE Creole Seasoning (also referred to as Bayou Blast):
- 2 1/2 tablespoons paprika
- 2 tablespoons salt
- 2 tablespoons garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon black pepper
- 1 tablespoon onion powder
- 1 tablespoon cayenne pepper
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano
- 1 tablespoon dried thyme
Using a large skillet with a heavy bottom, heat the olive oil over low heat and saute or "sweat" the onions until translucent. Add asparagus, deglaze the pan with wine, and cook for 1 minute. Add the Arborio rice, stir to coat with the olive oil, and saute with the onions to toast each grain of rice, about 7 minutes.
Once the rice is lightly toasted, add the white wine slowly, stirring with a wooden spoon.
Heat the chicken stock in a saucepan to just to the boiling point, then have it ready at stove side. After the rice has absorbed the white wine and the skillet is nearly dry, add 1 cup stock, stirring occasionally, and cook over very low heat until the stock is absorbed. Continue adding the stock, 1/2 cup at a time, until all the stock has been absorbed.
After adding the last 1/2 cup stock, also add the butter, Parmesan, and heavy cream. Stir to combine all the ingredients. Re-season with salt and pepper, to taste.Paneed Veal:
While risotto is cooking, wrap each cutlet in plastic wrap and pound with a meat mallet until very thin. Season the cutlets with 1 teaspoon of the Essence. Mix together the eggs and water in a shallow bowl. Combine the cracker crumbs with 2 teaspoons Essence on a shallow platter. Dip the cutlets in the egg mixture, then in the cracker crumb mixture.
Heat the oil in a heavy large skillet over medium-high heat. Fry the cutlets for about 30 seconds on each side, or until golden brown. Serve immediately with White Asparagus Risotto.Emeril's ESSENCE Creole Seasoning (also referred to as Bayou Blast):
Combine all ingredients thoroughly.
Yield: 2/3 cup
Recipe from "New New Orleans Cooking", by Emeril Lagasse and Jessie Tirsch, published by William and Morrow, 1993.
More Recipes and Ideas:
Wild Mushroom and Asparagus Risotto, Asparagus-Wild Mushroom Risotto with Parmesan, Salad of Warm White Asparagus, Baby Arugula and Beefsteak Tomatoes with a Porcini Dressing, Risotto Recipes, Veal Recipes, Butternut Squash Risotto Recipes, Mushroom Risotto Recipes, Osso Buco Recipes, Veal Chop Recipes