- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 ounces diced andouille sausage
- 1/4 cup chopped green onions
- 1/4 cup chopped celery
- 2 tablespoons minced red bell peppers
- 1 tablespoon minced shallots
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 1 cup cooked white navy beans
- 2 tablespoons peeled, seeded, and chopped Italian plum tomatoes
- 1 teaspoon Essence, recipe follows
- Salt and pepper
In a saute pan, heat the olive oil. When the pan is smoking hot, render the sausage for 1 minute. Add the onions, celery, red peppers, shallots and garlic for 1 minute. Season with Essence. Stir in the beans and tomatoes. Saute for 1 minute and season with salt and pepper. Remove from the heat. Spoon the sauce onto the platter. Mound the relish in the center of the sauce. Place the prawns around the relish. Garnish with the fried spinach, cheese, and peppers.
Essence (Emeril's Creole Seasoning):
- 2 1/2 tablespoons paprika
- 2 tablespoons salt
- 2 tablespoons garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon black pepper
- 1 tablespoon onion powder
- 1 tablespoon cayenne pepper
- 1 tablespoon dried leaf oregano
- 1 tablespoon dried thyme
Combine all ingredients thoroughly and store in an airtight jar or container.
Yield: about 2/3 cup
Recipe from "New New Orleans Cooking", by Emeril Lagasse and Jessie Tirsch. Published by William and Morrow, 1993.