White Chicken Stock
- 2 (3 1/2 to 4 pound) chickens, well rinsed, quartered with the excess fat removed
- 1 1/2 gallons cold water, or enough to cover the chickens
- 2 cups coarsely chopped onions
- 1 cup coarsely chopped carrots
- 1 cup coarsely chopped celery
- 1/4 cup peeled garlic
- Sachet consisting of: 2 bay leaves, 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme, 1/4 teaspoon cracked black peppercorns, 4 parsley stems, wrapped in cheesecloth and tied with string
- Chicken Soup: (made with chicken stock)
- 1/2 cup small diced onions
- 1/2 cup small diced carrots
- 1/2 pound orzo or pastina
- 1 head escarole, cleaned and sliced
- 3 quarts chicken stock
- Reserved chicken (from stock), cut into bite sized pieces
- 3 eggs, beaten
- 1 cup grated locatelli cheese
- 1 lemon, juiced
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
Place all the ingredients into a large (3 to 4 gallon) stockpot and set over a medium-high heat. Bring the contents of the pot to a boil and reduce to a simmer. Skim the impurities and fat that rise to the top. Cook the stock over the next 6 hours, skimming as needed. Do not allow the stock to boil, or the fat and scum will mix with the stock and cause it to become cloudy.
When the stock is complete, strain through a fine mesh sieve lined with cheesecloth and refrigerate or freeze what is not used. Once cool enough to handle, pick the meat off of the chicken bones and use it for a chicken salad, or a soup, gumbo or ragout.
While soup is simmering, pick the chicken from the bones and cut into bite sized pieces. Add the chicken and cook just until heated through.
Yield: 8 to 10 servings
More Recipes and Ideas:
Pecan Crusted Chicken over Field Greens with Caramel Citrus Vinaigrette, Chicken with Mushroom Demi-Glace and Figs, Asian Chicken Salad with Cellophane Noodles, Easy Chicken, Carrot Soup Recipes, Baked Ham Recipes, Roasted Turkey Recipes, Beef Stroganoff Recipes, Chicken Casserole Recipes
Thank you! your flag was submitted.