Whole Fish Emeril-Style
- 1 (4 to 5 pound) fish, scales, gills and fins removed, scored 1/8-inch deep every 2-inches
- 1/4 cup chopped garlic
- 1 cup extra-virgin olive oil, plus more for serving
- 1 tablespoon red pepper flakes
- 1 lemon, zested
- 1 lime, zested
- 1 tablespoon cracked black pepper
- 1 cup chopped assorted fresh herbs
- 1 cup dry white wine
- 1 cup sliced yellow onions
- 1/2 cup julienne red pepper
- 2 tablespoons kosher salt
- 6 lemon slices, plus 2 lemons, cut into wedges, as accompaniment
- 6 sprigs thyme
Place the fish along with all of the other ingredients except the kosher salt into a large plastic bag and marinate for 24 hours.
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Heat a grill to medium high.
Remove the fish from the bag and sprinkle with the kosher salt, lemons, and thyme. Place lemon slices and thyme sprigs into the slits. Place on the grill and cook for 5 minutes per side. Transfer to a cookie sheet and bake in the oven for 20 minutes. Serve with lemon wedges.
Recipe courtesy Emeril Lagasse, 2001
Recipe courtesy of Anne Burrell