Whole Roasted Chicken Infused with Tangerines and Rosemary with a Tangerine Glaze
- 1 whole chicken, about 4 pounds
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- Salt and pepper
- Essence, recipe follows
- 1 yellow onion, quartered
- 3 tangerines, quartered
- 4 sprigs fresh rosemary
- 1 cup fresh tangerine juice
- 1 tablespoon honey
- Salt and pepper
- 8 roasted new potatoes, cut into wedges, warm
- 1 cup assorted roasted baby root vegetables, i.e. baby carrots, red, and golden beets, warm
- 2 fresh rosemary sprigs
- Essence (Emeril's Creole Seasoning):
- 2 1/2 tablespoons paprika
- 2 tablespoons salt
- 2 tablespoons garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon black pepper
- 1 tablespoon onion powder
- 1 tablespoon cayenne pepper
- 1 tablespoon dried leaf oregano
- 1 tablespoon dried thyme
Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.
Rub the entire chicken with the butter. Season the chicken with salt, pepper, and Essence, including the cavity and the area between the skin and the breast meat. Season with onions and tangerines with salt and pepper. Stuff the cavity with the onions, tangerines, and fresh rosemary.
Place the chicken on a rack in a roasting pan. Place in the oven. Roast the chicken for 45 minutes to an hour or until the juices run clear. After the chicken has roasted for 20 minutes, baste the entire bird with the pan drippings. Baste every ten minutes.
For the glaze: Remove the chicken from the oven and allow to rest, reserving the pan drippings. In a hot saute pan, add the pan drippings, tangerine juice, and honey. Season with salt and pepper. Reduce the sauce to 1/2 cup, about 8 to 10 minutes.Essence (Emeril's Creole Seasoning):
Combine all ingredients thoroughly and store in an airtight jar or container.
Yield: about 2/3 cup
Recipe from "New New Orleans Cooking", by Emeril Lagasse and Jessie Tirsch. Published by William and Morrow, 1993.
Recipe courtesy of Bobby Flay