Wild Mushroom and Truffle Ragu over Fettucine Pasta
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1/2 cup diced onion
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 2 pounds wild and exotic mushrooms, cleaned and diced
- 2 teaspoons chopped fresh thyme leaves
- 2 teaspoons chopped fresh oregano leaves
- 1 cup chopped tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 2 cups mushroom, chicken or veal stock
- 1 1/4 teaspoons kosher salt, plus more for pasta water
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh basil leaves
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley leaves
- 4 teaspoons truffle oil
- 1 pound fettucine
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan
- Chopped fresh herbs, for garnish (such as basil, parsley, thyme)
Place a 12-inch skillet over medium-high heat. Add the olive oil and butter to the pan. Once the butter melts and starts to foam, add the diced onions and saute until translucent, about 3 to 4 minutes. Add the garlic and cook until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Add the mushrooms and cook, stirring often, until they have released most of their liquid, about 10 minutes. Add the thyme, oregano, chopped tomatoes, tomato paste and stock to the pan. Bring the contents of the pan to a boil and reduce to a gentle boil. Continue to cook, stirring occasionally until the liquid has reduced and thickened, about 20 minutes. Season with the salt and pepper, and add the basil, parsley and truffle oil to the pan. Stir to incorporate and reserve while you cook the pasta.
Fill a large 6-quart pot with 1-gallon of water and bring to a boil over high heat. Season the water with salt. Place the dried pasta into the boiling water, and stir using a long handled spoon until the water returns to a boil. Cook the pasta until al dente, or until it has a slight chew, about 12 to 14 minutes. Once cooked, remove the pasta from the water and drain through a colander set in the sink. Pour the pasta onto a large platter or bowl, and spoon the sauce over top of the pasta. Sprinkle with the Parmesan and chopped fresh herbs.
Thank you! your flag was submitted.