Wild Mushroom Ragout with a Spinach Potato Cake
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 cup assorted sliced wild mushrooms
- 2 tablespoons minced shallots
- 1/2 cup peeled, seeded and chopped tomatoes
- 1/4 cup chopped green onions
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 2/3 cup mushroom broth
- 2 tablespoons butter
- Salt and pepper
- Spinach Potato Cake:
- 1/2 cup chopped and blanched spinach
- 1 cup mashed potatoes
- 1/2 teaspoon minced garlic
- Salt and pepper
- 1/2 cup seasoned flour
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1/2 cup seasoned bread crumbs
- 1/2 cup olive oil, for frying
- Essence, recipe follows
- 2 tablespoons chopped parsley
- 2 tablespoons grated Parmigiano-Reggiano
- 2 long chives
For the ragout: In a saute pan, heat the olive oil. Add the mushrooms and shallots and saute for 2 minutes. Add the tomatoes, green onions and garlic and continue sauteeing for 1-2 minutes. Season with salt and pepper. Add the mushroom broth to the Sauteed mixture and reduce by half. Finish with the butter and reseason.
For the potato cakes: In a mixing bowl, combine the spinach, potatoes and garlic together. Season with salt and pepper. Portion the mixture into 2-ounce cakes. Dredge the cakes in the seasoned flour. Dip into the beaten egg, letting any excess drip off. Coat each cake completely with the seasoned bread crumbs.
In a saute pan, heat the olive oil. When the pan is smoking hot, add the cakes. Saute until golden brown, about 2 to 3 minutes. Flip the cakes over and continue sauteeing until golden brown. Remove from pan and drain on a paper-lined plate. Season with Essence.
Spoon the ragout in the center of the plate. Place the cakes in the center of the ragout. Garnish with chopped parsley, Parmigiano-Reggiano, and long chives.
Recipe courtesy Emeril Lagasse
Recipe courtesy of Emeril Lagasse