Wild Mushroom Stuffing for Turkey Roulade
- 1 cup fresh white bread (such as ciabatta), crust removed and cubed
- 1/2 cup milk
- 2 slices apple bacon, sliced into 1/4-inch pieces
- 1/21/2 onion, finely chopped, or 3/4 cup finely chopped onion
- 1 rib celery, finely chopped, or 1/4 cup finely chopped celery
- 2 garlic cloves, minced or 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 5 ounces assorted mushrooms, sliced (such as shiitake and oyster, about 2 cups)
- 1/4 cup Marsala wine
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 tablespoon chopped fresh thyme
- 1/2 tablespoon chopped fresh oregano
- Salt and pepper, to taste
In a small bowl, soak bread cubes in milk.
In a saute pan, saute bacon over medium-high heat until crisp and all fat is rendered. Add onion, celery, and garlic and cook until softened, about 5 minutes. Add mushrooms and continue to cook until mushrooms have released their liquid and are soft, about 4 minutes. Deglaze with Marsala and cook for 1 1/2 to 2 minutes. Remove from heat and allow to cool completely.
Squeeze excess milk from bread and place bread in a large mixing bowl. Add eggs and mix well, breaking up pieces of bread. Add mushroom mixture, chopped thyme and oregano, and salt and pepper to taste.
Recipe courtesy Emeril Lagasse, 2000
Recipe courtesy of Rachael Ray
Recipe courtesy of Anne Burrell