- 1 1/2 pounds beef sirloin, fat trimmed and cubed
- 4 teaspoons Essence, recipe follows
- 1/2 cup dry red wine
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons minced garlic
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tablespoon roughly chopped fresh rosemary leaves
- 1 tablespoon fresh thyme leaves
- 8 ounces button mushrooms, wiped clean, stems trimmed
- 1 medium yellow onion, peeled, cut in half then into quarters
- 1 large green or red bell pepper, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 12 to 18 cherry tomatoes, rinsed and drained
- Kosher salt
- Olive oil
- Couscous, recipe follows
Place the meat in a large ziplock bag and toss with the Essence. Add the red wine, vinegar, soy sauce, garlic, Worcestershire, rosemary, and thyme and toss to coat. Seal the bag tightly and place inside a baking dish. Marinate in the refrigerator at least 6 and up to 24 hours (Alternatively, combine the meat and marinade ingredients in a glass baking dish and cover with plastic wrap.)
Preheat the grill (alternatively, preheat the oven broiler and line a baking sheet with aluminum foil.) Remove the meat from refrigerator.
Thread 1 meat cube onto a skewer, followed by the remaining ingredients until the skewer is full. Continue with the remaining ingredients. (If wood skewers are being used, soak first for 30 minutes in a dish of water.) Sprinkle lightly with kosher salt, drizzle on some oil and grill (or broil) until cooked medium-rare, about 6 minutes, turning once.
Serve hot with couscous.
- 2 1/2 cups water
- 1 1/2 cups couscous
- Kosher salt
- 1 tablespoon chopped chives
- 1 tablespoon chopped parsley
- 1/4 cup finely chopped red pepper
- 1/4 cup finely chopped yellow pepper
- 1/4 cup olive oil
Bring the water to a boil. Add the couscous and immediately remove from the heat. Cover and let sit for 15 minutes, or until the water is absorbed. Fluff with a fork and add the remaining ingredients. Season, to taste.