- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 3 cups plus 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 2 teaspoons soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 tablespoon hoisin sauce
- 12 jumbo shrimp, peeled and deveined, tails intact
- 12 square wonton wrappers
- 1 egg, beaten
- 12 chives
- Cilantro, for garnish
- Cilantro Lime Sauce, recipe follows
Place wrappers on work surface and cover with a damp kitchen towel. Working with 1 wrapper at a time, brush edges of wrapper with a beaten egg. Place a shrimp diagonally across the center and fold wrapper around shrimp. Place the chives in a bowl of hot water for 1 minute. Drain and tie 1 chive around each wonton-wrapped shrimp. Trim off excess chive. Cover with a damp kitchen towel and set aside. Repeat with remaining wrappers.
Heat the remaining 3 cups oil in a large wok until 375 degrees F.
Working in batches, add wrapped shrimp and fry until golden, 1 to 2 minutes. Using a slotted spoon remove from the oil and drain on paper towels. Garnish with cilantro and serve hot with Cilantro Lime Sauce.
Cilantro Lime Dipping Sauce:
- 4 tablespoons fish sauce
- 4 tablespoons rice vinegar
- 4 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 2 teaspoons mirin
- 2 tablespoons Sriracha sauce
- 4 tablespoons finely chopped cilantro leaves