- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1/2 medium onion, finely diced
- 1 stalk celery, finely diced
- 1 pound lump crabmeat
- 1/2 cup unsweetened shredded coconut
- 2/3 cup mayonnaise
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 2 tablespoons chives, finely minced
- 2 tablespoons parsley, chopped
- 5 cups panko bread crumbs
- Salt and pepper
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 3 large eggs, beaten
- Diced tomatoes, for garnish
- Chives, for garnish
- Coconut Basil Mayonnaise, recipe follows
Heat oil in a saute pan. Add onion and celery and saute until onion is translucent. Remove from heat and set aside.
In a large bowl, mix crabmeat, coconut, mayonnaise, mustard, chives, parsley and 1 cup panko with the onion/celery mixture. Add salt and pepper, to taste. Form into 2-inch diameter cakes.
Roll cakes first in flour, then in beaten eggs, then in the remaining 4 cups of panko, each time shaking off excess. Heat oil, and saute the crab cakes until golden brown. Drain on paper towels. Arrange on a platter and garnish with tomatoes and chives. Serve with coconut basil mayonnaise.
Coconut Basil Mayonnaise:
1 cup mayonnaise
1/3 cup unsweetened shredded coconut
1 tablespoon lime juice
1 tablespoon basil leaves, chopped
1 teaspoon chili garlic paste
Salt and pepper
Combine all ingredients in a mixing bowl, and whisk until smooth. May be prepared a day ahead, covered and refrigerated. Bring to room temperature before serving.