- 2 tablespoons minced shallots or scallions
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 1/2 cups, more or less, fresh tomato pulp, chopped
- 4 tablespoons or more drained and seeded canned Italian plum tomatoes, if needed
- Salt and pepper
- Fresh herbs, such as fresh basil and parsley, or tarragon; or dried herbs to taste
- (tarragon, oregano, thyme
Cook the minced shallots or scallions in butter, in a small frying pan or saucepan, for a minute or 2 without browning. Then add the tomato and cook over moderately high heat for several minutes until juices have exuded and tomato pulp has thickened enough to hold its shape lightly in a spoon. Season carefully to taste. Just before serving, fold in the herbs.