Emeril's Chili Over Crispy Potatoes and Crumbled Blue Cheese
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 cups chopped yellow onions
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne
- 2 pounds beef bottom round, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 1/2 cup tomato paste
- One 28-ounce can whole tomatoes and their liquid
- 2 cups beef broth
- 2 tablespoons chopped garlic
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 cup dried white beans, picked over, rinsed, cooked in salted water to cover until tender, drained, and cooled
- 2 1/2 pounds new potatoes, washed and thinly sliced
- 1/2 pound Maytag Blue Cheese, crumbled
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley leaves
In a large, heavy pot, heat the vegetable oil over medium-high heat. Add the onions, season with 1 teaspoon of salt and the cayenne, and cook, stirring, until they are wilted and golden, about 4 minutes. Season the meat with the remaining 1 teaspoon salt and add to the pot. Cook, stirring, until the beef is browned evenly on all sides, about 4 minutes. Add the tomato paste and cook, stirring, for 2 minutes. Add the tomatoes, beef broth, garlic, chili powder, cumin, oregano, red pepper flakes, and beans. Bring to a boil, then reduce the heat to medium-low and simmer, uncovered, stirring occasionally, until the beef is tender, about 2 hours. Skim off the fat that rises to the surface.
Preheat the fryer to 360 degrees F. Fry the potatoes in batches until golden brown, about 4 to 5 minutes. Remove and drain on paper towels. Season with salt and pepper. To serve, mound the potatoes over the bottom of each serving bowl. Ladle the chili over the potatoes. Sprinkle the cheese over the top. Garnish with parsley.
Thank you! your flag was submitted.