Emerils Hot Crab and Crawfish Pasta
- 3/4 cup vegetable or canola oil, divided
- 1 red bell pepper, seeded and minced
- 3 jalapenos, seeded and minced
- 2 habaneros, seeded and minced
- 1/2 pound linguine
- Kosher salt
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/4 cup minced shallots
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1/2 cup dry white wine or chicken stock
- 12 ounces cooked crawfish tails
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley leaves, divided
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh chives, divided
- Essence, recipe follows
- 1 1/2 cups heavy cream
- 1/2 pound lump crabmeat, picked over for shells and cartilage
- 3 tablespoons grated Parmesan
- Emeril's ESSENCE Creole Seasoning (also referred to as Bayou Blast):Emeril's ESSENCE Creole Seasoning (also referred to as Bayou Blast):
- 2 1/2 tablespoons paprika
- 2 tablespoons salt
- 2 tablespoons garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon black pepper
- 1 tablespoon onion powder
- 1 tablespoon cayenne pepper
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano
- 1 tablespoon dried thyme
In a medium saute pan, heat 1/4 cup of the vegetable oil and add the red bell pepper, jalapenos, and habaneros. Cook, stirring until soft, about 2 minutes. Transfer peppers and remaining vegetable oil to a blender and puree until smooth. Transfer to a small bowl and set aside.
In a large (14-inch) saute pan, heat the olive oil and 2 tablespoons of the chili oil and saute the shallots and garlic until softened and fragrant, about 1 minute. Add the wine, crawfish, 1 tablespoon of the parsley and 1 tablespoon of the chives and cook, stirring, until wine is nearly evaporated, about 30 seconds. Season the crawfish mixture with Essence and salt, to taste. Add the heavy cream and cook until reduced to a consistency thick enough to coat the back of a spoon, 3 to 4 minutes.
Add the crabmeat and Parmesan to the cream sauce and stir to blend. Add the drained pasta and cook, tossing to thoroughly combine, until pasta is warmed through. (Add a bit of the reserved pasta cooking water if necessary to thin sauce). Taste and adjust seasoning with more Essence, chili oil, and salt, to taste.
Serve pasta in shallow wide pasta bowls, garnished with remaining parsley and chives. Drizzle the hot chili oil around the perimeter of the pasta and serve immediately.Emeril's ESSENCE Creole Seasoning (also referred to as Bayou Blast):Emeril's ESSENCE Creole Seasoning (also referred to as Bayou Blast):
Combine all ingredients thoroughly.
Yield: 2/3 cup
Recipe from "New New Orleans Cooking", by Emeril Lagasse and Jessie Tirsch, Published by William Morrow, 1993.
Thank you! your flag was submitted.