Endive, Radicchio and Walnut Salad
- 2 Belgian endives (10 ounces), washed
- 1 small head radicchio (5 ounces), washed
- 2 carrots (6 ounces), peeled and shredded (1 1/2 cups)
- 1/2 cup walnut pieces
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 1/2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 3 tablespoons virgin olive oil
Cut 1 1/2 inches from the root end of the 2 endives and the radicchio head, and cut these root end pieces into 1/2-inch chunks. (You should have 3 about cups.) Reserve the pointed endive leaf tips and the radicchio leaves for use later in the recipe. Combine the root end chunks with the shredded carrot and nuts in a bowl.
Arrange the radicchio leaves attractively on four plates, and spoon the dressed mixture into the center of the leaves. Arrange the endive leaf tips so they stand, pointed tips up, next to one another all around the dressed salad. Serve immediately.
Recipe Courtesy of Jacques Pepin
Recipe courtesy of Robin Miller