- 1 1/2 pounds ripe plum tomatoes, sliced 1/4inch thick
- 3 tablespoons fruity Spanish olive oil
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon sugar (optional)
- 1 1/2 tablespoons white wine vinegar
- 1/2 bunch basil, leaves only, cut into chiffonade
Arrange the tomatoes in opposing circles on an oval platter. Drizzle the olive oil evenly over the tomatoes. Sprinkle with the salt, pepper and, if desired, sugar. Let stand for about 15 minutes and, just before serving, sprinkle with the vinegar and basil.