Exotic Spice Cookies with Ginger, Cardamom and Rose Water
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 1/4 teaspoons ground ginger
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 3/4 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 3/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup chopped crystallized ginger
- 1 cup packed dark brown sugar
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1/4 cup vegetable shortening, room temperature
- 1 large egg
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1 teaspoon rosewater
- 3/4 cup turbinado (raw) sugar, for rolling
Whisk the flour, ground ginger, baking soda, cardamom, cinnamon, coriander, pepper and salt in a medium bowl until blended. Mix in the crystallized ginger. Set aside momentarily.
In a large bowl beat the brown sugar, butter and shortening with an electric mixer until fluffy (do not overbeat-it will add too much air). Add the egg, honey and rosewater and beat until blended. Stir in the flour mixture with a wooden spoon, mixing until just until blended. Cover and refrigerate 1 hour.
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Lightly spray 2 cookie sheets with nonstick cooking spray. Spoon the turbinado sugar in thick layer onto small plate. Using wet hands, form dough into 1 1/4-inch balls; roll in sugar to coat completely. Place balls on prepared sheets, spacing 2 to 3 inches apart.
Bake cookies until cracked on top but still soft to touch, about 11 to 13 minutes. Cool on sheets 1 minute. Carefully transfer cookies to wire racks; cool completely.