- 2 cups dried chickpeas, soaked in water and covered over night
- 1/2 cup finely chopped yellow onion
- 3 cloves peeled and crushed garlic
- 1/2 cup sesame seeds
- 1/4 cup finely chopped parsley
- 1/4 tablespoon kosher salt
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 2 teaspoons ground coriander
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- Oil, for deep-frying
- Pita bread
Soak chickpeas in water overnight.
Form into balls about 1-inch in diameter. Deep fry in oil until golden brown. This takes approximately 4 to 5 minutes. Serve in a pita bread and fill with lettuce, cucumber, tomatoes, and onions.
This recipe was provided by professional chefs and has been scaled down from a bulk recipe provided by a restaurant. The FN chefs have not tested this recipe, in the proportions indicated, and therefore, we cannot make any representation as to the results.
Recipe courtesy Shulamis Jenkelowitz, Jacob's Table