Family Style Fritto Misto
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 3 eggs, lightly beaten
- Water, to moisten
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 pound cuttlefish, cleaned and cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1 pound scampi, tail on and deveined
- 1 pound anchovies, cleaned
- 4 whiting, scaled, cleaned, rinsed, dried and cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1 pound whitebait
- 1 red onion, cut into 1/2-inch rings
- 1 zucchini, cut into individual strips, about 1 by 4 inches
- 1 eggplant, cut into individual strips, about 1 by 4 inches
- Oil, for frying
- 2 cups marinara sauce, hot
- 1/2 cup garlic aioli
- 1/2 cup grated Parmigiano-Reggiano
- Sliced red onions
- 2 tablespoons freshly chopped parsley leaves
Preheat the oil to 375 degrees F.
In a mixing bowl, whisk the flour, olive oil and eggs together. Add enough water to thin out the batter but not too thin. Season with salt and pepper. Season all the seafood and vegetables with salt and pepper, to taste. Dip each piece of seafood in the batter, letting the excess drip off. Fry the fish in batches, starting with the cuttlefish and ending with the whitebait. Dip the vegetables in the batter, letting the excess drip off and fry until golden brown about 3 to 4 minutes. Remove all fried items from the oil and drain on paper lined plates. Season every item with salt and pepper. Spoon the marinara sauce over the bottom of a large platter. Pile the fried seafood and vegetables on top of the sauce. Garnish with drizzles of aioli, cheese, red onions and parsley.
Thank you! your flag was submitted.