Fava Bean and Raw Artichoke Salad
- 4 large fresh artichoke hearts, thinly sliced or quartered*
- 1 pound fresh fava beans, shelled, washed, and drained
- 2 to 3 scallions or spring onions, to taste, white and green parts, thinly sliced
- 2/3 cup slit green Greek olives
- 1 small bunch fresh dill, snipped
- 1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 large lemon, juiced
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
Note: To prepare artichokes the Greek way, cut away most of the stem, leaving about 1 inch of it intact. Have 1 or 2 cut lemons handy as you work with the artichokes, rubbing them on cut surfaces to prevent discoloration. Also have a bowl of acidulated water on hand. Snap off the tough outer leaves near the base. Hold the artichoke on its side on a cutting board and, using a sharp serrated knife, cut the artichoke crowns down to within 1 1/2 inches of the base. With a paring knife, trim the tough green exterior off the stem. Rub the artichoke with lemon. Using a teaspoon, thoroughly scrape away the hairy choke on the inside. Holding the artichoke on its side again, trim away any leaf stubs by going around the artichoke almost on a bias with the knife. Using a paring knife, trim the stem so that only its inner, tender core remains. Rub the artichoke with lemon and drop into acidulated water. Continue until all the artichokes are clean.
Thank you! your flag was submitted.