Fettuccine with Spicy Raw Tomato, Herb, and Caper Sauce
- Makes 6 main course or 8 pasta
- 1 pound plum tomatoes, seeded and coarsely chopped
- 1/2 cup packed fresh flat-leaf parsley
- 1/2 cup packed fresh mint leaves
- 1/2 cup packed fresh basil leaves
- 1/4 cup drained capers
- 3 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes, or to taste
- Pinch sugar, or more to taste
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 6 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 pound egg-free fettuccine
- 1/2 cup coarsely chopped walnuts, toasted
- Freshly chopped parsley (optional)
Reserve about one-third of the chopped tomatoes. Combine the remaining tomatoes, parsley, mint, basil, capers, garlic, red pepper flakes, sugar, salt, and black pepper in a food processor fitted with the metal blade; process until a smooth paste is formed. With the motor running, add the oil in a thin, steady stream. Transfer the mixture to a large serving bowl.
Meanwhile, cook the fettuccine in boiling salted water according to package directions until al dente. Drain well and add to the bowl with the tomato mixture. Add the reserved tomatoes and toss like a salad until well combined. Serve immediately, garnished with the optional walnuts and parsley, if using.
Professional Recipe: This recipe was provided by a chef, restaurant or culinary professional and makes a large quantity. The Food Network Kitchens chefs have not tested this recipe in the proportions indicated and therefore cannot make any representation as to the results.
Recipe courtesy of The Mediterranean Vegan Kitchen (HP Books, 2001) by Donna Klein