- 1 pound farfalle (bow-tie) pasta
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 onion, sliced thin
- 2 each green, red and yellow peppers, thinly sliced
- 2 large cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh oregano, or 1 teaspoon dried oregano, crumbled
- 1/2 teaspoon lemon pepper
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes, or to taste
- Salt, to taste
- 1 chicken bouillon cube, crumbled
- Freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- Italian bread
Fill a large pot or casserole with water and bring it to the boil over moderately high heat. Add salt and the farfalle and cook pasta according to package directions.
Meanwhile, in a large nonstick skillet set over moderately high heat, warm the oil until hot. Add the onion and cook, stirring occasionally, for 5 minutes. Add the peppers, garlic, oregano, lemon pepper, bay leaf, dried red pepper flakes and salt, and cook the mixture, stirring frequently, for 5 minutes more. Add 1 1/2 to 2 cups hot water from pasta pot and the bouillon cube to the onion pepper mixture and simmer the sauce, stirring occasionally, for 8 to 10 minutes more, or until sauce is flavorful. Discard the bay leaf.
Drain pasta and transfer to a large bowl. Add the sauce and toss to combine. Serve with freshly grated Parmesan and crusty Italian bread.
Recipe courtesy of Padma Lakshmi