Fillet of Salmon "Campfire Style" on Chipotle Vinaigrette with Pear and Cucumber Salad
- For the Chipotle Vinaigrette:
- 1 1/2 chipotle peppers packed in adobo sauce
- 2 tablespoons chopped garlic
- 1 tablespoon chopped shallots
- 1 small bunch cilantro, chopped
- 2 1/4 cups seasoned rice vinegar
- For the Salmon:
- 1 1/2 pound salmon fillet cut into 12 strips
- Salt and pepper to taste
- For the Pear and Cucumber Salad:
- 1/2 cup seeded and diced cucumber
- 1/2 cup cored and sliced pear
- 1/2 cup pared and julienned jicama
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1/2 cup julienned pickled beets
- 1/2 cup cilantro sprigs
Make the Salmon: Fold each salmon strip in half and skewer 2 together in an interlocking "yin and yang" form. Season with salt and pepper. Cook the salmon for 10 to 12 minutes in a smoke-box or on a barbecue grill.
Make the Pear and Cucumber Salad: In a medium size bowl toss together the cucumber, pear, jicama, and lemon juice.
To serve: Lightly coat the bottom of six serving plates with 1 cup plus 2 tablespoons of the chipotle vinaigrette. Place the pear and cucumber salad on the top half. Place the beets on at the last minute. Remove skewers from salmon and lay partially on the salad. Garnish with cilantro sprigs.
Recipe Adapted from Robert McGrath