- 2/3 cup olive oil, plus 1/3 cup
- 4 whole cloves garlic, peeled
- 1 large yellow onion
- 1 pound beef shank
- 2 1/2 pounds bone-in pork chops
- 3 (28-ounce) cans tomatoes
- 3 tablespoons hot red pepper sauce, plus 2 tablespoons, plus 1/2 tablespoon
- 2 (6-ounce) cans tomato paste
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 1/2 tablespoons kosher salt
- 1/2 tablespoon dried sweet basil
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon onion powder
- 1 1/2 tablespoons dried parsley flakes
- 1/2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 1/4 cups freshly grated Pecorino Romano
- 1 (12-ounce) can lager beer (Budweiser recommended)
- 3 ribs celery, coarsely chopped
- 1 large yellow onion, coarsely chopped
- 4 (1 1/4-pound) lobsters
- 24 Littleneck clams, scrubbed
- 1 1/2 cups heavy cream
- 24 mussels, beards removed and scrubbed
- 32 raw large shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 1 (1-pound) box linguini
- 4 teaspoons freshly chopped parsley
- 1 loaf crusty Italian bread
In a cold 8-quart stockpot, put 2/3 cup of olive oil, garlic cloves, whole onion, beef shank, and pork chops. Turn heat to medium and cook for 5 minutes. Turn meat over and cook for 5 more minutes. Puree the tomatoes in the blender, and add them to the stockpot. Add 2 tablespoons hot sauce, tomato paste, all dry ingredients and 3/4 cup of cheese to the stockpot. Cover pot and simmer for 2 hours, stirring every 15 minutes.
Fill a 16-quart stockpot halfway with water and add 3 tablespoons of the hot sauce, beer, celery, and coarsely chopped onion. Bring to a boil. Add the lobsters and boil for 10 minutes. Remove the lobsters from the water and let cool. Remove the lobster meat and refrigerate in a covered bowl. Reserve and refrigerate the lobster bodies to be used as garnish.
Put 1/3 cup olive oil in a frying pan and turn heat to medium. Put in the clams and cover. Cook for about 7 minutes, or until they open. Add 4 cups of the tomato sauce from the stockpot, remaining 1/2 tablespoon hot sauce, heavy cream, and mussels. Simmer for 5 minutes. Add shrimp and lobster and simmer for 5 more minutes.
Cook linguini according to the directions on the box, and then add it to the contents of the frying pan. Mix all ingredients together and divide evenly onto 4 plates, garnishing each plate with a lobster body and 1 teaspoon fresh parsley (or, serve family style in a large bowl). Add extra sauce and cheese to taste. Serve with crusty Italian bread.
Recipe courtesy of Firefighter Dan Rinaldi, First Place