- Oil, for frying
- 3/4 cup onion, chopped
- 1 tablespoon garlic, minced
- 6 cups green cabbage, shredded
- 2 cups red cabbage, shredded
- 3/4 cups green onion, chopped
- 1/4 cup carrot, finely grated
- 3 tablespoons oyster sauce
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 pound lump crabmeat
- 1 package spring roll wrappers
- 1 egg, beaten for egg wash
- Pickled Ginger Vinaigrette, recipe follows
In a deep-fryer or Dutch oven, add oil to fill 2/3 of the way and preheat to 375 degrees F.
In a saute pan, add the 2 tablespoons oil. Add onion and garlic, and cook for 2 minutes over medium-high heat. Add cabbages, green onion, carrot, oyster sauce and salt and pepper, to taste. Cook over high heat for about 2 to 3 minutes. Remove from the heat, drain excess liquid, and cool. Fold in crabmeat and mix to combine. Separate the sheets of spring roll wrappers, and keep under a slightly damp towel. Place 2 tablespoons of crabmeat filling on the wrapper. Fold nearest edge of wrapper over filling; fold left and right corners toward the center. Roll tightly and seal with the egg wash. Place the spring rolls into the preheated oil and fry until golden brown. Place on paper towels to drain. Serve with Pickled Ginger Vinaigrette.