- 18 sheets phyllo dough, thawed (note thawing time on package directions)
- 1/2 cup butter, melted
- 6 large cloves garlic
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1 package (8 ounces) cream cheese at room temperature
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1 package (4 ounces) crumbled feta cheese
- 1 can (6 ounces) crabmeat, drained or substitute fresh
- 2 cups soft bread crumbs, divided
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- Paprika, for garnish
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
Take 3 sheets of phyllo at a time, butter and roll up, jelly-roll style. Cut into fourths. Press, cut side down, into muffin pan cups. Press with fingers to flatten and work slightly up the sides of cup. Brush cups with melted butter. Repeat with remaining phyllo sheets, for a total of 24 cups.
To prepare filling, place garlic, with tough bottoms cut off, in a plastic bag. Pound with the side of a meat cleaver. Remove skins and place crushed garlic in a deep microwave safe bowl. Add lemon juice and water. Cover and microwave for 2 minutes.
Add cream cheese to garlic and cream together. Add beaten eggs, feta, crab, and 1 cup of the bread crumbs and mix well. Add cayenne pepper and mix again. Spoon mixture into each phyllo cup, distributing evenly, about 1 tablespoon of mixture per phyllo cup. Sprinkle remaining bread crumbs over the crab mixture (about 1 teaspoon per phyllo cup) and lightly dust the top of each with paprika.
Bake for 25 minutes. Carefully remove each phyllo cup/crab "cake" onto a cooling rack. Serve warm or at room temperature.