- 1 cup unsalted butter, room temperature, plus more for pan
- Flour, for pan
- 2 cups sugar
- 6 eggs
- 3 1/2 cups sifted cake flour
- 3 ripe pears, peeled, cored, and grated
- 1 tablespoon pure vanilla bean paste (recommended: Nielsen-Massey)
- 2 tablespoons candied ginger puree (recommended: Royal Pacific)
- 1/2 cup pear brandy, divided
- Pear preserves, heated and strained, for garnish
- Chocolate Glaze, recipe follows
- Marzipan pears with candied ginger leaves, for garnish, optional
In the bowl of a mixer, cream butter and sugar together until fluffy. Add eggs, 1 at a time, until incorporated. Slowly stir in flour, being careful not to over-beat. Add pears, vanilla bean paste, candied ginger puree, and 1/4 cup pear brandy; mix well. Transfer to prepared pan and bake for 50 minutes to 1 hour, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool in the pan for 10 minutes and then unmold onto a cooling rack. Cool completely. Douse with another 1/4 cup pear brandy then glaze with warmed pear preserves. Let pear glaze set. Pour Chocolate Glaze over. When set, remove cake from cooling rack and place it on a serving plate. Garnish with marzipan pears with candied ginger leaves, if desired.
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup light corn syrup
- 4 ounces dark chocolate (recommended: Guittard)
- 5 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1/2 cup confectioners' sugar
Heat sugar and corn syrup together in a small saucepan over medium-low heat until sugar is dissolved. Add chocolate and remove from heat. Stir in butter gradually, and then add confectioner's sugar. Cool slightly and pour over cake.
* Guest Recipe
A viewer or guest of the show, who may not be a professional cook, provided this recipe. The Food Network Kitchens have not tested this recipe and therefore cannot make representation as to the results.