- 5 pounds sweet potatoes (about 8 large),scrubbed
- 1 1/2 to 2 canned chipotle chiles in adobo sauce*, minced and mashed to a paste (about 1 tablespoon)
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter, cut into pieces and softened
- 1 teaspoon maple sugar
- Freshly ground black pepper
- *available at some supermarkets and specialty foods shops
Preheat oven to 450 degrees F. and line a baking sheet with foil. Prick potatoes with a fork and bake in middle of oven 1 to 1 1/2 hours, or until very soft. Cool potatoes until they can be handled and scoop flesh into a bowl. With an electric mixer beat potatoes with chili paste, butter, sugar, and salt and pepper, to taste, just until smooth and spread in a buttered 2-quart shallow baking dish. Potatoes may be prepared up to this point 1 day ahead and chilled, covered. Bring potatoes to room temperature before proceeding.
Reduce oven temperature to 350 degrees F. Bake potatoes in middle of oven until hot, 20 to 25 minutes.
Note: Maple sugar is about twice as sweet as regular sugar. When making maple syrup, boil down the maple sap 20 to 50 percent, until it is thick. If you keep boiling down the syrup until the liquid is gone, then you have maple sugar.