15-Minute Chicken, Rice and Grape Salad
Recipe courtesy of Food Network Kitchen
From Food Network Kitchen
Brown rice makes a nutty, chewy base for this salad and is a nice foil for sweet grapes and fresh greens. Using frozen precooked rice makes[ the whole dish doable in 15 minutes. The creamy dressing comes together quickly in the blender.]
- 3 cups store-bought frozen precooked or leftover brown rice
- 1/2 cup 2 percent Greek yogurt
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest, plus 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon mayonnaise
- 1 small shallot, roughly chopped
- 1 small clove garlic, roughly chopped
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 cup walnut pieces
- 1/2 rotisserie chicken, skin removed and meat shredded (about 3 cups)
- 2 cups small seedless red grapes
- 1/2 cup loosely packed flat-leaf parsley leaves
- 4 cups loosely packed baby spinach
Put the frozen rice in a medium glass mixing bowl, and break it up using a fork. Drape a damp paper towel directly over the rice, and microwave until the rice is warmed through and softened, 2 to 3 minutes.
Meanwhile, puree the yogurt, oil, lemon zest and juice, mayonnaise, shallots, garlic, 1 1/2 teaspoons salt and a few grinds of pepper in a small food processor or a blender until smooth. Toast the walnuts in a small skillet over medium heat until fragrant and just starting to brown, about 2 minutes.
Combine the chicken, grapes, parsley and spinach in a large bowl, and toss with half the dressing. Add the warmed rice and toasted walnuts, toss again and serve with the remaining dressing.
Copyright 2014 Television Food Network, G.P. All rights reserved.