- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 4 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 white onion, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 jalapeno pepper, diced (remove seeds for less heat)
- 1 1/2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Kosher salt
- 1 small tomato, chopped, plus more for topping
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
- 2 1/2 cups shredded rotisserie chicken
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- 1 15 -ounce can refried beans
- 4 10 -inch flour tortillas
- 1 cup shredded monterey jack cheese, plus more for topping
- Mexi-sauce, for topping (see below)
- Shredded lettuce, for topping
- Mexican rice, for serving
Preheat the oven to 450 degrees F. Melt the butter with 2 tablespoons vegetable oil in a skillet; transfer to a bowl. Heat the remaining 2 tablespoons oil in the skillet. Add the onion, garlic and jalapeno and cook until soft, about 3 minutes. Add the chili powder, cumin, cinnamon and 1 teaspoon salt; toast 30 seconds. Add the tomato and cilantro and cook until slightly dry, about 2 minutes. Stir in the chicken and sour cream and warm through. Remove from the heat.
Brush a rimmed baking sheet with some of the butter-oil mixture. Spread 2 tablespoons refried beans down the center of each tortilla, leaving a 2-inch border on both ends. Top with 1 cup chicken mixture and 1/4 cup cheese. Fold in the ends and roll up.
Put the chimichangas seam-side down on the baking sheet; brush with the butter-oil mixture. Bake 8 to 10 minutes per side, brushing again after you flip. Top with the sauce, more cheese, lettuce and tomato. Serve with rice and the remaining beans.
Make Chi-Chi's Mexi-sauce:
Saute 1/2 cup chopped onion and 2 chopped garlic cloves in a skillet with vegetable oil. Add a pinch each of chili powder, cumin, sugar and salt; cook 30 seconds. Stir in two 4-ounce cans chopped green chiles (drained and rinsed); cook 2 minutes. Add 1 cup chicken broth and simmer until thickened, then puree. Stir in 1/4 cup chopped cilantro.
Thank you! your flag was submitted.