For the Sauce:
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon Asian chili sauce (such as sambal oelek)
- 2 teaspoons honey
- Kosher salt
For the Shrimp:
- Vegetable oil, for frying
- 2 large eggs
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup cornstarch
- Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1 1/4 pounds small shrimp, peeled and deveined
- Bibb lettuce leaves, for serving
- Thinly sliced scallions, for garnish
Make the sauce: Mix the mayonnaise, chili sauce, honey, 1/4 teaspoon salt and 1 tablespoon water in a large bowl; set aside.
Prepare the shrimp: Heat about 2 inches of vegetable oil in a heavy-bottomed pot or Dutch oven over medium heat until a deep-fry thermometer registers 350 degrees. Meanwhile, whisk the eggs in a shallow bowl. Whisk the flour, cornstarch and 1 teaspoon each salt and pepper in another shallow bowl.
Working in batches, dredge the shrimp in the flour mixture, shaking off any excess, dip in the beaten eggs, then return to the flour mixture, turning to form a thick crust. Fry the shrimp in the hot oil until lightly golden, 1 to 2 minutes, adjusting the heat as needed to maintain the oil temperature. Transfer to a paper-towel-lined plate with a slotted spoon.
Toss the shrimp with the prepared sauce. Arrange the lettuce in a shallow serving bowl or on individual plates. Top with the shrimp and garnish with scallions.
Photograph by Stephanie Foley