Ambrosia Icebox Cakes
Recipe courtesy of Food Network Kitchen
Copyright 2009 Television Food Network, G.P. All rights reserved
- 1/2 cup pineapple juice
- 3 large eggs plus 2 yolks, room temperature
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons cold unsalted butter
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- Pinch fine salt
- 2 oranges
- 1 cup whipping cream
- 1 tablespoon confectioners' sugar
- 2 teaspoons cream sherry, such as Oloroso
- 18 soft ladyfingers
- 1/2 cup sweetened shredded coconut, lightly toasted
1. Bring pineapple juice to a simmer in a small saucepan over medium heat. Whisk eggs, yolks, sugar and cornstarch in a small bowl. Slowly pour hot juice into egg mixture, while whisking constantly. Return mixture to pan and cook, stirring constantly, until it boils and coats back of a spoon. Continue cooking about 1 more minute. Remove from heat, stir in butter, lemon juice, and salt. Strain mixture into a small bowl set over ice. Place a piece of plastic wrap directly onto surface of curd and set aside to cool.
2. Finely grate zest from 1 orange and reserve. Trim and discard peel from remaining orange and cut out segments. Chop and toss with zest. Whip cream and confectioners' sugar together until soft peaks form and fold into chopped orange.
3. Juice zested orange into a bowl and stir in sherry. Lightly brush ladyfingers with this liquid and press into bottom and along sides of 6 ramekins. Evenly divide pineapple curd among ramekins. Top each with orange-whipped cream and toasted coconut. Refrigerate until set, at least 2 hours or overnight. Release cakes from ramekins to serve.