- Kosher salt
- 10 ounces whole-grain angel hair pasta
- 2 medium carrots, roughly chopped
- 1/3 cup walnuts
- 2 cloves garlic, roughly chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon grated lemon zest
- Pinch of red pepper flakes
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/2 cup golden raisins
- 1/2 cup grated pecorino or parmesan cheese (about 2 ounces), plus more for topping
- Juice of 1/2 lemon
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Add the pasta and cook as the label directs. Reserve 1 1/2 cups cooking water, then drain the pasta.
Meanwhile, put the carrots, walnuts, garlic, oregano, lemon zest, 1/4 teaspoon salt and the red pepper flakes in a food processor and pulse until finely chopped.
Heat the olive oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add the walnut-carrot mixture and the raisins and cook, stirring frequently, until the carrots soften and begin to brown, about 5 minutes. Add the reserved cooking water and bring to a simmer, then add the pasta, pecorino, lemon juice, parsley, and salt to taste and toss. Divide among bowls and top with more cheese.
Per serving: Calories 564; Fat 22 g (Saturated 6 g); Cholesterol23 mg; Sodium 541 mg; Carbohydrate 75 g; Fiber 9 g; Protein 21 g
Photograph by Christopher Testani