- 3 crisp apples (such as Cortland)
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 5 shallots, thinly sliced
- Kosher salt
- 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons dijon mustard
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- 1/2 pound deli-sliced Black Forest ham, torn into pieces
- 2 bunches watercress, trimmed
- 4 endives, sliced crosswise
- Freshly ground pepper
Thinly slice the apples. Toss with the lemon juice in a large bowl.
Make the dressing: Heat the olive oil in a skillet over medium heat. Add the shallots and 1/2 teaspoon salt and cook, stirring occasionally, until golden, about 8 minutes. Whisk in the vinegar and mustard; remove from the heat and let cool slightly. Whisk in the sour cream and 1/4 cup water.
Add the dressing to the bowl with the apples. Add the ham, watercress and endives. Season with salt and pepper and toss to coat.
SERVES 6 (SIDE); Calories: 234; Total Fat 10 grams; Saturated Fat: 2 grams; Protein: 12 grams; Total carbohydrates: 29 grams; Sugar: 12 grams; Fiber 13 grams; Cholesterol: 21 milligrams; Sodium: 818 milligrams
Photograph by Con Poulos