- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 crisp apple, such as Braeburn or Crispin, cored and diced with skin
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 2 tablespoons dark brown sugar, plus more to taste
- 3 cups water
- 2 cup quick-cooking oats
- 1/2 cup wheat germ
- 1/4 cup ground/milled or whole flax seed (or a combination of both)
- 1/4 cup chopped dried apples
- 1/4 cup golden raisins
- 3/4 cup 1 percent milk
Melt the butter in a medium saucepan over medium heat, and the apple and cook until lightly brown and soft, 2 minutes. Add cinnamon and sugar and cook until dissolved. Add the water and bring to a boil. Add the oats, wheat germ, flax, dried apples and raisins. Stir constantly for 2 minutes until oats are cooked and dried fruit is slightly plumped. Divide into 4 bowls, sprinkle each bowl with more brown sugar, a drizzle of milk and a dried apple ring.
Copyright 2005 Television Food Network, G.P. All rights reserved.